Friday, April 25, 2008

Fiber Friday #9- Behind the Fiber



I gush a lot about the fibers I love, my inspiration, etc, but I very rarely mention how much I absolutely LOVE the business side of BCB. I love it so much I write articles about it for Etsy, so much that I subscribe to business blogs, and so much that I'm applying for an MBA program this fall (I've been taking pre-MBA classes for a year, since my BA is in...French).

One of my new favorite blogs, asked the question "What is your business?" and I realized that while most everyone knows I sell yarn, maybe a little clarification would be good for the both of us!
So here it is, BCB: the Business!

What’s your game? What do you do?
I dye and handspin eco-friendly, squishy yarns in bright colors for fiber artists. My fibers are from locally farmers, recycled and/or organic and I handpaint each of them, in a very un-scientific, serendipitous process before they leave me!

Why do you do it? Do you love it, or do you just have one of those creepy knacks?
I love it! I've always had a visceral reaction to tactile experiences; since I was 4 or 5, I sewed with Grams, then moved to braiding friendship bracelets (which I, of course, tried to sell), then hemp necklaces with beads embedded (also tried to sell in junior high), then a small stint with scrapbooking until I taught myself to knit and ever since it's been a 24/7 fiber fest. And color, it's what I turn to for inspiration, courage, a sense of well-being. I truly just love all aspects of fiber and dyeing! Not sure if I have a knack, I just know I love it!

Who are your customers? What kind of people would need or want what you offer?
My customers are fiber artists, people who also feel passionately about just the right color on just the right fiber. They are concerned about their impact on the environment and about supporting the local community.

What’s your marketing USP(unique selling point)? Why should I buy from you instead of the other losers?
My yarns aren't just fun, they're good for you and the earth and my Appalachian community. I believe creating should be about having fun and doing the right thing. Knitters, crocheters, weavers, felters; they each spend a LOT of time with the yarn before it becomes the finished product and they should LOVE their materials. All of my yarn and fiber has integrity and spirit and will add another layer of meaning and artistry to their work

What’s next for you? What’s the big plan?
What's next is sourcing more of my materials from local sources; building more relationships with local farmers; finding a way to get local wool into local hands. Long term I want to work with other small creative businesses and farmers on creating a community for education and the exchange of goods; and educate these businesses and farms on using new technology for reaching their market.

0 comments: