Thursday, January 3, 2008

Resolute

Andre resolves to spend more time with yarn


As I mentioned yesterday, I don’t do resolutions, but I do reassess every 6 months and think about the things I plan to work on. Some things are improvements, some are challenges and other things are just a continuation of last year’s good efforts. This year I’m breaking it down into different ‘areas’: business, creative, and personal; although, really, as I strive to live a more authentic life, I’m finding that everything is connected and that growth in one area requires/causes growth in another.

Business:

I’m writing a series of articles for Etsy’s Storque and writing regularly about business subjects with a bit of authority is a new challenge. It’ is also completely, overwhelmingly exciting!

This month I’m really organizing my files and processes for the business end of BCB. I’ll be using Google Docs to keep spreadsheets of orders, customers, suppliers and accounting. (if you have the same project, here's a great spreadsheet for pricing and here's one offered by Etsy for inventory)

I'm re-commiting myself to my marketing plan (I'll be posting about that soon) and to my weekly blogging (Inspiration Monday, Fiber Friday)


Creative:

I’m taking part in the Take it Further Challenge, hosted by Sharon B. I’m anticipating being stretched by the concepts each month and will be blogging my process on Tuesdays (TIF Tuesday).

I've joined the Greenies 2008 group (on Ravelry), which is a loose group of knitters who want to make sustainable yarn choices. While the business has always been committed to strictly eco-friendly sources, I have personally purchased mass-produced yarn for ease and economy. This year, however, I am not buying any yarn that isn't eco-friendly. I'm sure this will result, for the sake of economy, knitting mostly from my stash!

I've really been considering re-reading The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. I read it a few years ago and was really struck by the changes it enacted in me.

I'm going to sew more! I had success making some Jedi Cloaks for my little brothers for Christmas (my first real sewing project) and now I have the confidence to make my own clothes.


Personally, my family will be eating more locally (once the growing season returns) and switching to more sustainable choices in all areas of our life.



And I think that about covers it!


9 comments:

Kamsin said...

Sounds like some great challenges for 2008! The best of luck with all your endeavors!

Sherry said...

A wonderful new beginning of challenge and growth...I'm particularly loving Andre's approach to resolve!!! Best of everything with your goals!

Devil Mood said...

Wow, you're so organized and active - I'm all inspired!
Storque - is that yours? So many things over there. Beautiful!

I love it that you reasses every 6 months - 12 months is too long, you get lost in resolutions easily. And it's great that you've entered so many challenges. I want those too this year.

Devil Mood said...

Oh sorry, I know realize storque is a group. :)

Tumblewords: said...

A sizeable chunk of goals - isn't it strange how they turn out to be related? I'm always surprised by how my words turn to color and vice versa. Thanks for the reminder about The Artists' Way. I was thinking about it last month, but lost that thought!

Tara said...

Thanks for all of the encouragement!

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of reassessment instead of resolutions. All your plans seem great. I am just now learning how to knit and using sustainable yarns is a superb idea!

myrtle beached whale said...

Someone once told me that "resolutions are promises we make to ourselves that we have no chance of keeping". Oh wait, I just made that up.

little wing writer said...

green yarn, what an excellent idea...reassessing biannually..great thoughts...